Thursday, January 13, 2011

January 13

It's a wet day here, but it was a mild night with no frost on the car as we left the rehearsal: I walked out to the car-park with Barry (Lear) whose parting words were "See you on the heath tomorrow night..".

It was a good evening. I had a head-shot taken before we went back into Act Two - as far as I could see, the picture was pretty good. The onstage work went well, but it is starting to get tricky to know where you are at without the actual steps there - they are marked in chalk, but that is not the same, and people kept moving into positions which would see them fall right off the stage. Nevertheless, we made good progress: I calculate that we have 22 rehearsals before the tech'.

The students are amazingly well-disciplined and committed. I spent some time last night talking to a young woman who plays one of Goneril's servants and who was concerned about the moral dilemma of her character - how to stay true to her mistress when she can see how badly Goneril is behaving.

We mostly worked on Act II Scene IV, in which Gloucester becomes totally marginalised in his own castle: Cornwall has upstaged him in II ii, and now Regan takes over from Cornwall as the principal power - great stuff!

We start on the blinding scene tonight, which we will rehears in a separate room under the guidance of the fight captain. She worked with Edgar and Edmund last night on their final sword-fight, and the result was very impressive indeed.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment