Thursday, February 3, 2011

seeing it differently

No call for me last night, so I got a whole day off. I did some housework, sat in the sun and read a mystery novel and had a couple of beers with a friend, then a leisurely dinner with Terry and we watched 'Nowhere Boy'.

Oh, and I thought about Act Four Scene Three. It's a short scene, and very very rarely staged, yet it has some of the most beautiful lines in the play - those describing Cordelia finding out what has happened to her father. Sadly, those lines have been cut, but the two actors in the scene were struggling with it on Tuesday, and asked me, if it was so rarely staged, why it was there at all. I thought about this, and wrote to them - it seemed to me that Shakespeare needed to assure the audience that they were not about to see the King of France onstage invading Britain. One of the actors in the scene got back to me to say that she had been working on the fear and urgency behind her involvement in the action: just goes to show - I think about why the scene is in the text, she thinks about what to do with it....

More work on the blinding scene tonight - I'll there there from six onwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment